Position Title: Manager - Chartering & Performance “VLCC”
To contribute to the development of Oman Shipping Company’s (OSC) vessel chartering activities and to maintain a competitive advantage position in the market. To maintain and identify local as well as international business opportunities in the Crude Tanker segment of Shipping and to follow through the implementation of these business opportunities.
Staff Supervised: 2
§ Manage the Chartering and performance activities of the companies Crude Carrier fleet by optimizing and maximizing revenues.
Spot & period Chartering of the Crude fleet
§ Gainful employment of the Company Owned & Chartered in Crude tonnages in a cost effective, efficient and profitable manner.
§ The nature of the position requires the job holder to work around the clock and at the forefront of the company, using a combination of industry knowledge, technical analysis, and creative thinking to reposition the ships in order to enhance profit, mitigate downside risk and limit the current/future exposure of the company’s Crude freight portfolio.
§ Develop and implement marketing and chartering strategies to provide integrated services meeting clients’ requirements and to provide sustainable income/growth to the company.
§ Responsible and accountable for negotiating rates and contractual terms by identifying market trends and spot trading opportunities.
Performance of the Crude fleet
§ Step in on any matter impacting the Time Charter Equivalent (TCE) and to sign off on financial parameters such as vessel’s routing, speed and consumptions, bunkers’ quantities and location, and any regular and abnormal situations affecting the TCE.
§ Manage the commercial performance of the Crude fleet by delivering and securing a competitive advantage to the company.
§ Oversee the financial reporting of the VLCC performance to the company top management and shareholders.
§ Provide strategic plans affecting the profitability of the Crude fleet and to manage transitional periods any regulatory changes if any.
§ Handle projects starting with the feasibility study through to viability, economic modelling, implementation, and post implementation, and to follow up ensuring the companies best interests are protected, and that upmost efficiency is achieved.
§ Develop and maintain excellent customer relationships with Charterers, Owners, and Brokers, all from different backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities, enabling the jobholder to assess every situation in the best possible way, and to decide and act upon it.
§ Work closely with every department in the company ensuring smooth operation of all voyages.
· Contribute identifying improvement opportunities of systems, processes, practices, cost reduction, productivity, improvement and risk assessment.
· Design & generate any departmental reports as per management request, timely and accurately to meet company and department requirements, policies, and standards.
§ Safety & Quality
§ Finance & Treasury
§ OSC customers and prospective clients
§ Charterers, refiners and Traders
§ Owners and pool operators
§ Brokers, third party agents
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Management
· 8-10 years’ experience in a commercial function with at least 3 years proven track record at managerial level.
· Extensive chartering and operational experience in running Tanker carriers, particularly in spot markets.
Job Specific Skills:
Frameworks & Authority:
· The Chartering Manager confers with GM Tanker & Gas and Sr. Commercial Tanker Manager on critical and strategic issues.
· The jobholder will assist drawing up plans and strategies for the commercial department and ensure their implementation.
· The Chartering Manager is responsible for planning and implementing section strategies and keeping all OSC’s systems abreast with the latest technologies.
· Key decisions having significant impact on the Chartering Manager function are referred to the GM – Tanker & Gas for approval before implementation.
· The jobholder exercises financial authority as per the level established by the OSC management.
· Analytical thinking, highly detailed oriented and problem-solving skills.
· Impact, negotiation and Influence.
· Relationship building, information seeking and achievement Oriented.
· Computer savvy with modeling abilities.